9.24.2006

UK Drug Use Up - Tony Blair Comments on GT

GT News Contributor Jonathan Crocker Reporting from London


New figures show the number of workers caught in Britain with cocaine in their systems has increased by 3,000 percent over the last decade.

The Independent reported that the new figures represent an ongoing trend among British workers. The decade also saw an 18 percent rise in employees failing drug tests, now about 5 percent of the country's entire workforce.

In 2005 alone, Medscreen reported that almost 7,000 workers in Britain were found to have illegal drugs such as heroin or cannabis in their systems at the time of the testing.

Most drugs, particularly cocaine, leave the system quickly, suggesting their discovery in workers' bodies was cause by recent prevalent use, the report said.

The newspaper said such frequent use undoubtedly involves the work week, not just on the weekends.

GT rang up Mr. Blair for a video phone- in and he was kind enough to take time out from holiday to answer a few questions.


GT: Welcome to the programme Mr. Blair
TB: Thank you for having me Jonathan. Wow! Look! I can see you on this phone!

GT: Yes Sir, it's a video phone um..I can see you too, Mr. Prime Minister.
TB: Coool

GT: Yes Sir...well anyway...um.. what do you make of reports that drug use is up 3,000% in the UK in the last decade?
TB: 3,000 %...(laughs) I thought you couldn't go any higher than 100%. I mean, isn't that like, the most something can be?

GT: Um.. right...so are you planning to start more testing for illegal drug use?
TB: I don't need to take a drug test, I'm the Prime Minister, you git. (nervous laugh)

GT: No Sir, that's not wha..(sigh)...Sir, reports are Brits are using cocaine and cannabis during the week now as well as weekends and it's effecting job performance. What's your view?
TB: Well Jonathan, I must say, for the record, that I do not agree with any kind of drug use AT ALL during the work week. I want to be totally clear on that issue.

GT: Ok, fair enough...I..
TB: Damn straight

GT: Right...um...Mr. Blair, I can see you making faces at me, this is a video phone.
TB: (clears throat) Um, no.. it's..um, I have something in my eye.

GT: Are you feeling OK Sir...you look a...um, a little tired..or...something.
TB: What are you saying Jonathan?

GT: Oh, nothing... it's just tha-
TB: I'm fine Jonathan, are you insinuating I'm... on something now? ( Blair looking irritated)

GT: Umm...no.. uh...yes, yes I am Sir. Sorry Sir...(clears throat)
TB: Preposterous... look here Jonathan...look, see this? (Tony Blair holds up a swab to the camera phone)

GT: Yes I do...
TB: (In front of the camera, Mr. Blair undergoes a mouth-swab drug test for cocaine and heroin. As he dips it in a glass of liquid the results shown are negative.) See! Hah Ha!
GT: Uh, Mr. Prime Minister...that's a Q-Tip and your dipping it in a brandy..... aren't you?...Mr. Blair? (emphasis)
TB: (no reply)

GT: Mr. Blair?
TB: (camera shows the prime minister reaching around to back of video phone, pulling wires out, then laughing as he inserts a small spoon into his nose and snorts)

GT: Mr. Blair, we can still see you.
TB: Aaaargh! ( goes insane attacking video phone)

(blue screen)

end interview

This is Jonathan Crocker, reporting from London.

Back to you Dave...

Thank you Jonathan. I hope he's gonna be ok. And Jonathan... are you still there?

Yes sir, I am.

Charge him for that phone
.

Video Phone Capture of Tony Blair on GT

Blair prior to wigging out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home