5.15.2008

Edwards and Elmo Endorse Obama



GT News World Exclusive


Washington (GTN) -Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards and beloved Sesame Street character Elmo both endorsed Sen. Barack Obama on Wednesday at a campaign event in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Presidential candidate John Edwards and Elmo with their last minute endorsement of Barack Obama in Michigan
"The reason We're here tonight is because the Democratic voters have made their choice, and so have we," Edwards told the boisterous crowd.

"Hello everybody!," added Elmo.

"There is one man who knows and understands that this is a time for bold leadership. Obviously, this is not me. I've kept silent until I was sure Hillary Clinton could not win! There is one man that knows how to create the change, the lasting change, that you have to build from the ground up, and surely this is not me. I am a spineless jellyfish!" Edwards said. "There is one man who knows in his heart there is time to create one America, not two ... and that man is um... Barack Obama."

Then to a roaring crowd Elmo said, "Barack Obama...Elmo loves you!"

"What she has shown ... is strength and character, and what drives her is something that no man in this room could possibly understand. Admit it. There is no man in this room that would have stayed in this race as long as Hillary." Edwards said. "She is a woman who, in my judgment, has balls of steel, and she's a leader in this country not because of her husband but because of what she is-and that is...frightening. Please don't hurt me Hillary! I was pressured into this by party leaders"

The Count, a caped, purple vampire-looking figure, also from Sesame Street, who oddly looks like the presidential hopeful, got the crowd going from the front row with a thunderous "How many delegates has Obama won?...let me count them...ONE!... one delegate!...TWO!...two delegates!" He was cut short at 137.

Edwards said that when the nomination battle is over, "and it will be over soon, brothers and sisters ... we must come together as Muppets as well as Democrats."

On the big screen behind the trio was shown Ernie and Bert, from the bedroom they share on Sesame street.

The scene-Ernie and Bert, clad in pajamas and donning their familiar nightcaps-Both in their monogrammed beds, Ernie sitting up and Bert trying to sleep as usual. "Hey...um Bert....Bert...are you awake?" "I am now Ernie what is it?" "Um Bert...I was just thinking...Hillary Clinton is a mean meanie...". "Yes Ernie, she is...now go to sleep". "...and Bert..." "Yes Ernie". " You know what I was also thinking Bert?" "No Ernie, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING! We have been sleeping together for thirty some odd years Ernie, and I still don't know what you are thinking. PLEASE GO TO SLEEP!" "I was thinking, Bert, that I am going to stick it to that Hillary Clinton and support Senator Barack Obama Bert" "Ok Ernie can we please go to sleep NOW?"... "Ok Bert"..............."Um Bert, is Obama anti-gay?" "AARRGHH!"

"I am so grateful ... for John Edwards and this....um...Elmo......I don't know his last name...to come to Michigan tonight. ... I'm grateful for their support ... but more importantly, I want to thank John for everything that he has already done to make us one America, and all his white middle-class voters" Obama said.

After the announcement, Republican National Committee Chairman Robert Duncan released a statement asking, "Why didn't Edwards and Elmo endorse sooner?" "Edwards' endorsement of a candidate he previously blasted as inexperienced, hypocritical and lacking substance will not help get him the Vice Presidential nod, and anyone with half a brain knows Elmo's girlfriend Zoe supports Hillary," he said.

Clinton campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe said Wednesday that "We respect John Edwards, and Elmo is adorable but as the voters of West Virginia showed last night, this thing is far from over."




I wish this was posted on Humor-Blogs.com

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home